Tuesday, August 5, 2008

About To Wrap It All Up

Back from Chicago. The most notable thing in regard to my health is that I drank again, some beers starting on Friday, probably a few too many beers on Saturday, but my tolerance isn't as wrecked as I thought it would be. Granted, it was only beer I was drinking and I never got to harder stuff but I have time later. In the time since I haven't had any other alcohol; I'll drink if I'm in a situation to do so but so far I haven't been around it and really I could live without it if I had to.

Eating in Chicago didn't get as bad as I thought it would be, sure, some deep-dish pizza and Italian sausage sandwiches and festival-food, but I stayed away from the worst, I think. Though there was an incident that Saturday night, after a number of beers at the festival then another few at a bar we were having drinks at, and since we had to order food to keep the table we had, I picked a foo-foo "peanut butter and jelly" sandwich, which also had some kind of fancy-shmancy cheese on it (though overall it really wasn't bad), and it was really rich, rich enough that it messed up my stomach and I kept choking up acid the next morning, which didn't help me sleep, but that was the worst I've gotten post-Master Cleanse and at least I knew what it was that caused it (mostly my own stupidity).

So I'm about as back to my regular diet as I could be. Though now I'm avoiding bad things (salt, processed sugar, fried food) as much as I can, and I'm doing it a lot more easily than I thought I would but I'm not being obsessive about it. I had a bowl of Lucky Charms with "reduced fat" milk at work and it was glorious but it just scratched the itch, not making me crave it more. I find that if I can just avoid putting it on my plate, I can avoid wanting it and feeling bad because I didn't get it to eat. This is more difficult when I'm at home and I pick what I eat but when I'm at work and there are catered meals, sometimes I don't have as much of a choice. But it's been going well and I'm very proud of what I've been doing (and not doing). I'm even at the same second-to-last belt-notch that I was at at the end of the Cleanse.

But let me emphasize again, if I haven't already: the Master Cleanse worked fairly well for me, the best part of which that it broke me of certain bad habits and got me on track for a better diet, but I don't recommend it to everyone. Others might have different results and it might even be harmful to your health. As they say frequently: Consult a doctor before starting any new diet or life-change.

No comments: