Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Master Cleanse Done

That's it. I did it. I made it through the whole Master Cleanse, not eating solid food, only drinking the mixture and water and laxatives and tablets, and now I'm on the other side. It's been tough, especially in the last few days of being in San Diego and being with friends in the evening, when I'm the hungriest, and not being able to eat. But my willpower carried me through and here I am. There have only been a few times in my life I have been more proud of myself.

However, I can't just jump back to my normal diet, as the book says:

Due to the massive changes in your body that happen during the Master Cleanse, exiting requires a careful process. It’s not good to just drop the cleanse and go back to eating the same foods you were eating prior to starting the Master Cleanse. This will wreak havoc on your body and even make you sick.

Since your body has adjusted to the Master Cleanse, some important steps should be followed to help your body come off the Master Cleanse properly. Here are some important guidelines to follow:The first day of ending the cleanse you should avoid all solid food. Start drinking orange juice and water. Drink slowly and let it settle. More water never hurt anybody, so drink plenty. Orange juice is good for helping your body adjust back to digesting regular food.

On the second day, continue drinking orange juice and lots of water. Now you can add in light soups. It is best to use vegetable soup as this is healthy and very light, and you can also eat Rye wafers. This food will be easy on your stomach and will help it to adjust back properly.

On day three you should continue with soup and drinking plenty of water. For dinner, you can add in fruits, vegetables, and salad. These foods are still easy on the stomach and very healthy.

For the next couple days follow this plan and ease yourself back into a normal diet.

Don’t rush it; let your stomach calibrate itself. Also, avoid meats and milk for at least 5 days. Milk can irritate your stomach during this process and meat is very hard for the stomach to digest.

Finally, when your stomach adjusts to solid food you should consider eating some yogurt. The Master Cleanse eliminates a lot of waste and bacteria that are bad for your body, but you will also lose some good bacteria that are actually beneficial to your body.

I can do orange juice and more water and vegetable soup and salad and fruit but I can't do yogurt. I'll probably live.

I can get orange juice but it doesn't say what kind to get. The kind I'm used to, as most people are, is chock-full of sugar and I can't imagine that's a thing I should want. But I'm not sure how unsugary or organic the orange juice is I can get. But I'll do what I can. And I assume that bottled water is fine, or at least it has to be since that's about my only option as I'm out and about.

The present plan is to go to Target on the way to the convention so I can get orange juice and so I can also use a scale to see how much weight I've lost, just for entertainment. Then it's on to the rest of it. I'm not looking forward to what seems like continuing on the cleanse but I've come too far to screw it up now... or make myself really sick.

Also, I'll continue blogging through the end of my entire experience with this, which will be through the recovery days (until Sunday) at least.

No comments: