Sunday, July 27, 2008

Recovery, Days 3 and 4, In Review

We went to Joe's Crab Shack on Friday night and I should have guessed that they wouldn't have vegetable soup. Even worse when your dining companions complain that their dinners -- fried fish and cole slaw and other stuff you can't eat -- aren't very good and you're sitting there with glasses of orange juice. But we went by the store on the way back and I had a bowl of vegetable soup and light rye crackers for dinner, which I wouldn't pick as my last meal but it was glorious, being the first real, solid food I've had in 13 days. Also note that sctrictly-titled "vegatable" soup seems to have pasta in it, which I'm trying to avoid, and "garden vegetable" has just vegetables and I don't understand why they would do something like that.

Last night I had a salad for dinner at some Islands-type place near Seaport Village. It was a nicoise (I know I spelled that wrong) salad, no tuna, just lettuce, green beans, tomatoes, and olives, which I sure have become a fan of, and a vinegarette dressing, tossed. I didn't care for it at first but once I got used to it, it wasn't too bad. Of course I was hungry again half an hour later but for a little while I was full.

Today is my first day back on a regular diet, except for meat and dairy, and I'm going to hold off on drinking a little while longer. Essentially I'm a vegan, so that's cool with veggie-burgers and the like, but I find it odd that they're allowed to have fried things like French fries and onion rings -- which actually works for me but you would think that vegans would be thinner.

No comments: